|Job title||Associate Director of Adult Programs|
|Company Name||Deep Center|
|Date Posted||Friday, August 23, 2019|
Deep Center empowers Savannah’s young people to thrive as learners, community leaders, and agents of change. Through creative writing, cultural production, and art, Deep creates platforms for the city’s youth and the village of support around them, including their families and adult allies, to share stories, engage in debates, and make Savannah a more just and equitable place.
Deep Center is in a moment of growth, recognition, and great possibility. This role will help support Deep’s efforts to build capacity to do systems-change work, grounded in arts and culture, that can act as a model across the South and beyond.
Deep Center’s Associate Director of Adult Programs is a 40 hour/week salaried position that reports directly to Deep’s Director of Adult Programs. This position will assist in building and facilitating trainings, dialogue, and support structures for adults throughout Savannah’s ecosystem of youth-serving systems and institutions, such as Savannah-Chatham County Public School System and Chatham County juvenile court. The person in this role functions as a facilitator, curriculum designer, coach, restorative circle-keeper, and champion for growth, healing, and transformation. The work will primarily be with adults but will also be informed by and in partnership with young people.
- ● Strong leadership skills, understanding of adult learning, and a deep commitment to supporting all adult stakeholders to adopt and implement humanizing, healing-centered restorative practices within their institutions
- ● Knowledge of research-based restorative-justice practices and effective strategies for improving climate and culture within public institutions
- ● Strong interpersonal skills and assets-based framework for working with adults, youth, and families from diverse cultural backgrounds towards a more just and equitable world
Understanding of social, economic, and cultural systems and how historical and
contemporary structural injustices adversely affect some communities while benefiting
others. The ability to think strategically at the systems level to identify and articulate
equitable solutions is a must.
- ● Building curriculum and training based on stakeholders’ reflection and desired outcomes, with a healing-centered, transformational focus
- ● Facilitating training for adults, alongside coaching and ongoing technical assistance
- ● Supporting cross-silo connections, intergenerational community dialogue, and grassroots
participatory action research necessary to supporting Deep’s efforts to build transformational spaces for youth and families.
- ● 5 years minimum professional teaching experience in a public school district, preferably with 2 years in a leadership capacity (team/lead teacher, department chair, etc.)
- ● Direct, first-hand understanding of how a district functions
- ● Experience in designing and leading professional development
- ● Ability to purposefully engage adults (and youth) in the learning process through dialogue
and create a culture of mutual respect, honesty, and vulnerability
- ● Strong and tested ability to develop excellent teams and participate effectively on teams
- ● Root-cause analysis and the ability and willingness to speak about race, class, gender,
sexuality, ability, and power with experience, courage, respect, kindness, and humility
- ● Familiarity with social justice, education justice, and juvenile justice reform movements
and community-based strategies for creating just and equitable public schools
- ● Commitment to actively participate in an open and democratic work culture
- ● Strong skills in oral and written communication, and a love of reading, writing, and
- ● Ability to prioritize, balance, and complete complex projects in the face of competing
- ● Growth mindset, positive and optimistic attitude, curiosity, and a sense of humor
- ● Advanced degree in education and/or other related discipline a plus, but not required.
This is a full-time position with a benefits package that includes health, vision, and dental benefits and generous vacation/holiday/sick pay. Salary range: $48,000-$55,000, contingent upon experience.
Deep Center is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Job applicants and staff shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions.
To apply, email a cover letter, resume, and sample of relevant curriculum (lesson plan, workshop, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 11:59 EDT. No phone calls, please. Include “Associate Director of Adult Programs” in the subject line.