|Job title||Curatorial Research Internship (Unpaid)|
|Company Name||Telfair Museums|
|Date Posted||Wednesday, October 25, 2017|
Curatorial Research Internship (Unpaid)
Title: Curatorial Research Internship – Spring 2018 and Summer 2018
Application Deadline: Spring 2018 – November 30, 2017; Summer 2018 – March 31, 2018
This internship is unpaid. Students are responsible for making arrangements with their schools to receive credit. Telfair Museums does not provide travel, relocation, parking or housing assistance for interns.
Internship time commitments vary with a minimum of four (4) hours per week.
Department/Location: Curatorial – Jepson Center – Telfair Museums, Savannah, GA.
Purpose and Goals:
Telfair Museums is seeking an intern to assist with art historical research relevant to upcoming exhibitions of American art and Telfair’s permanent collection. The intern will primarily work in the curatorial department of Telfair Museums, conducting research in the museum’s archives, library, and online. The position requires exceptional attention to detail, the ability to manage multiple and diverse tasks simultaneously, strong interpersonal skills and a collegial attitude, excellent writing ability, and a high level of professionalism. Coursework in American art history and/or museum studies is helpful, and enthusiasm for the visual arts is required. Telfair Museums is excited to open this opportunity to creative and attentive individuals seeking experience in the curatorial department of an art museum.
Applicants are required to commit to at least six to eight hours per week. Hours may be adjusted if more hours are needed for school credit. Office hours in the Curatorial department are 9 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday.
Candidates applying for internship must:
• Be a rising college junior or senior currently enrolled in a college/university
• Be a graduate student
• Coursework in art history (particularly American art) and/or museum studies is preferred.
• Must be very independent and a self-starter.
• Highly motivated, good problem solver, and detailed-oriented.
• Ability to clearly communicate verbally and in writing.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Word/Excel is necessary.
• Ability to stand or sit for 3-4 hours a day.
• Sitting, bending, stooping, walking, reaching
• Climbing stairs (occasionally)
Students interested in an internship at the Telfair Museums should send the following materials together in one package within the specified deadline. Incomplete application packets will not be considered. Applications or letters of reference received after the due date will not be considered.
• Internship application (available on the website)
• Two letters of recommendations (forms available on website)
• Resume or curriculum vitae
• Transcript of undergraduate or graduate records with a minimum of 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale. Official and unofficial transcripts are accepted.
• Personal letter explaining your reasons for applying to Telfair Museums’ internship program. The letter should include:
o What you hope to gain from the experience,
o What you feel you can contribute to your chosen department,
o How this internship experience will impact your education and career plans.
Submit applications to Mary Nestor, Human Resources Director, Telfair Museums, P.O. Box 10081, Savannah, GA 31412 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submit Completed Applications To:
Human Resources Manager
P.O. Box 10081
Savannah, GA 31412
In keeping with best practices, Telfair Museums does not accept unsolicited resumes or applications. When you apply, your application/resume will be carefully reviewed in terms of the requirements for the internship position. Applicants identified as the most qualified will be contacted by the department manager for an interview. If you are not notified by the department manager, you will know that we have selected another candidate for the position. Please continue to visit our website for an up-to-date list of employment.