|Job title||Historical Interpreter – Owens-Thomas House and Telfair Academy|
|Company Name||Telfair Mueseums|
|Date Posted||Wednesday, August 30, 2017|
Position: Historical Interpreter – Owens-Thomas House and Telfair Academy
Date Written: 08/29/2017
Reports to: Lead Interpreter
Job Classification: Full-Time/Non-Exempt
Job Summary and Key Objectives:
The Historical Interpreter is responsible for giving 45-minute guided tours of the Owens-Thomas House and Telfair Academy, part of Telfair Museum of Art, Inc. Historical Interpreters conduct educational and thought-provoking guided tours, answering questions about the architecture, furnishings, social history and the art. The museum is open seven days per week.
Candidates for the Historical Interpreter position must successfully complete up to 20 hours of training to become proficient in preferred tour techniques, all aspects of the history of the Owens-Thomas House and Telfair Academy, including 19th century social history, history of regency architecture, and fine and decorative arts. Candidates will be evaluated on their knowledge and ability to lead guided tours before being offered a regular full-time position with this organization.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
• Understand and learn the history and tour techniques of the Owens-Thomas House and Telfair Academy and deliver accurate, interesting and compelling tours for Telfair Museums’ visitors.
• Abide by daily tour schedule and remain true to the facts of the history of the Museums.
• Deliver excellent customer service.
• Report any damages or safety issues to the Lead Interpreter or Security.
• Act as a representative of The Telfair Museum of Art, Inc., to promote the museums and encourage visitors to visit the other Telfair Museum of Art locations.
• Work as a team with other Interpreters, Front Desk Associates, Retail Shop Associates and Management to provide a warm, welcoming and professional experience for visitors.
• Work in other areas as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications and Education:
• An interest in American History, fine and decorative arts, architectural history and/or public history.
• High school diploma or equivalent; Bachelor’s degree in history or the arts a plus.
• Excellent oral communication skills.
• Experience in public speaking, lecturing, training, guided tours, or other related experience working with the public.
• Friendly, helpful and courteous; must be enthusiastic about the Owens-Thomas House and its history.
• Ability to work with large groups independently and professionally.
• Ability to problem-solve
• Ability to learn new software
• Flexibility in scheduling and assignments
• Promptness, reliability and dependability are a MUST.
• Desire to educate visitors about the historical significance of Telfair Museums.
• Ability to work with diverse audiences.
• Ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time
• Ability to climb stairs
• Ability to work both indoors and outdoors in various types of weather year-round
I have read the above job description and can perform and meet all of the above responsibilities and duties.
Please apply at www.telfair.org
Submit Completed Applications and resume To:
Human Resources Manager
Savannah, GA 31412
In keeping with best practices, Telfair Museums does not accept unsolicited resumes or applications. When you apply, your application/resume will be carefully reviewed in terms of the requirements for the internship position. Applicants identified as the most qualified will be contacted by the department manager for an interview. If you are not notified by the department manager, you will know we have selected another candidate for the position. Please continue to visit our website for an up-to-date list of employment opportunities.